Fried rice is such an easy and quick meal. But traditional fried rice is not compatible with the Ketogenic diet. This Broccoli Fried Rice recipe can be thrown together quickly if you’re short of time for a tasty weeknight meal. It’s also packed full of healthy nutrients and fats. Yes, you read right. Broccoli Fried Rice – like Cauliflower Rice, but made with Broccoli.
Why use Broccoli instead of Rice?
As rice is high in carbohydrates, it is not suitable for anyone strictly following a ketogenic diet. Even though you’re not going to get the exact same texture or mouthfeel with Broccoli compared to rice, this is an impressive substitute that works really well.
Something else that I really like to add to my Broccoli Fried Rice is sea moss. A few generous spoons of sea moss gel gives the dish a smooth and creamy texture that for some people can mimic the starchy effect that rice can have when it bleeds out into the rest of the dish. Sea moss is a great marine vegetable that has so many things going for it. This is why I add it to as many things as I can.
Did you know that sea moss contains long chain polysaccharides which act as a prebiotic? This means they provide a food source for the good bacteria in your gut, and help to support a healthy microbiome.
Preparation – 25 minutes
- 4 cups broccoli rice (made from approximately 2 broccoli heads)
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic
- 1 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 1/2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 Tbsp coarse salt (Himalayan or Celtic is best) for taste
- 1/2 a Tbsp ginger
- 3 Tbsp Sea Moss Gel
- 1 lime (more for serving if desired)
- 2 bulbs scallions – chopped finely
- 4 Tbsp cilantro (coriander) or parsley – chopped finely
- Almonds – sliced (optional)
You will also need
- A food processor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- A medium size mixing bowl
- A wooden spoon or spatula
- Serving Bowl
- Break the broccoli into florets. Put the broccoli stems and florets into the food processor and chop into rice-sized pieces. Note: Using a blender is not ideal because it may turn the broccoli into a paste rather than rice.
- Finely chop the garlic.
- Grate the ginger. Pro tip: Frozen ginger is easier to grate than fresh ginger, and it keeps for a lot longer.
- Chop the scallions and cilantro finely.
- Pour one tablespoon of avocado oil to a pan and heat.
- Add the garlic and broccoli to the pan and sauté for 1 minute.
- Pour the toasted sesame oil, coconut aminos, sea moss gel and coarse salt and mix through the broccoli.
- Allow the mixture to cook for another 2 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Cook the broccoli – the change to a bright green color. Note: The broccoli is supposed to be a little bit crunchy. Do not overcook the broccoli or it may become sloppy or mushy.
- Take the Broccoli Fried Rice off the heat.
- Grate half a teaspoon of ginger and mix through.
You can also season the dish with fresh lime juice. This gives the Broccoli Fried Rice Recipe a pop that really lifts it. You may wish to garnish with fresh cilantro (coriander), scallions, and sliced almonds. The almonds give it a bit of crunch to it, which I quite like. You could slice the lime into wedges and place it on the side in case you want to add some more lime juice later. Season to taste and enjoy!